Sunday, September 4, 2011

Military Museum & Archaelogical Museum




Military Museum & Archaelogical Museum
No matter you choose to visit either Military Museum or Archaeological Museum, you have to go to the same place. No matter you want to visit the Military Museum or not, you have to enter the two museums through the entrance under the Military Museum banner. Buying only 1 ticket provides you with the chance to visit two museums. Maybe to some museum-lovers this is a good deal, but not to those who cannot understand Polish for this case.



Last time I visited to these museums, I planned only to visit the Archaeological Museum. I struggled to find the entrance – of course in the end I still could find the entrance! However, I was super surprise when I enter the exhibition halls. It is because there is English instruction on the door of the exhibition hall to describe the era of the exhibits in the hall but there is NO English description for the exhibits inside! What is the use of knowing the era of the exhibits when the visitors know nothing about the exhibits? I believe that for history and archaeology aspects the stories for the exhibits are very important. As there is no English description, what I can do is to walk pass all exhibits and then exclaimed. I don’t even know whether the exhibits are real or not! One more interesting fact is, there are skeletons (I don’t know whether they are models or real human remains) on every single floor. It is scary when you first discover them in the exhibition halls. Again, as there is no English description, I cannot tell what the skeletons are for.
After visiting the Archaeological Museum, I entered the Military Museum right away. Military Museum is another museum with no English description at all! On the first floor it shows a lot of guns. Maybe to some machine gun lovers they may find their paradise here. However, without English descriptions the guns make no sense for me (and I am not a typical feminine girl – I watch masculine/ war movies). The only place with English description is a room for helmet collection on the 1st floor. However it still does not make sense for me to visit a helmet room. There is a temporary exhibition showing different kinds of swords on the second floor. It is a tradition in Poland that no English for temporary exhibition. So you do not need to anticipate any miracle for this temporary exhibition. Actually you do not need any anticipation at all for this museum of encountering meaningful English. For me, the most interesting item in the museum is the painting on the wall – it shows tiredness of soldiers.
In a military museum there is items which is anti-war? I appreciate it!
The only nice experience for me about these museums is that the staff is very nice. They do not know much English but they are willing to service you. When I wanted to buy a bookmark, they do not understand which bookmark I want to buy. They even came out from their counter and opened the cupboard and asked me to point to the bookmark I want! Polish Museum staff is nice, as always!


No comments:

Post a Comment